Atalaya Castle- Murrells Inlet SC- 30 Minute Drive from Myrtle Beach

There is so much to take in and see in the Myrtle Beach area and Atalaya Castle in Murrells Inlet is no exception. Well worth the 30 minute drive South on Highway 17, Atalaya is a site to behold and a piece of the low country's history you don't want to overlook. Being the history buff and lover of all things old that I am, I had to make this site a priority.




Atalaya was the winter home of industrialist and philanthropist Archer M. Huntington and his wife, the sculptor Anna Hyatt Huntington. Atalaya is located inside Huntington Beach State Park which to me has a stretch of the most clean and beautiful beach areas on the Grand strand. Admission into the park is $8 per adult, $5 for kids under 15. To tour Atalaya Castle only costs $2.00 per person. Try to catch a guided tour of the castle during the summer months, it's well worth the planning to get the history lesson associated with the walk through. You could also pack a lunch and plan to spend the whole day at the park on the beach or walking the trails. There's usually not a large crowd of people there, which I find appealing for some relaxation. 



During my visit to Atalaya I noticed a photographer taking bridal portraits there. Since then I've learned that a lot of local photographers frequent Atalaya. I think it's great that artists have access to utilize such a unique location. Being a photographer myself, I found myself wandering the property and taking lots of shots of some of the details of the castle's architecture.


































Comments

  1. Beautiful! Now, I want to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post! I'll have to follow along on your blog because we got o Myrtle Beach every couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely going on my list of "must go places".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts